The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) has recently released the annual injury and ill health statistics for 2017/2018.
• 1.4 million working people suffering from a work-related illness.
• 2,595 deaths due to past asbestos exposures (2016).
• 144 workers killed at work, 38 in the construction Industry (worst Industry in the UK).35 of the fatalities were caused by a fall from height.
• 555,000 injuries occurred at work.
• 71,062 injuries to employees reported under RIDDOR, 52% of non-fatal accidents were caused by a slip, trip or fall at the same level or an injury caused by a manual handling activity.
• 30.7 million working days lost due to work-related illness and workplace injury.
• £15 billion estimated cost of injuries and ill health from current working conditions (2016/17).